SUMMER CAMP 2019
'STEAM' on the FARM
August 6-8, 2019
9 am to 3:30 pm
Schumacher Farm Park
5682 Hwy 19
Waunakee WI 53597
For kids in grades 1-5 (Ages 6-11)
Join us to experience how science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM) come to life on a farm. A historical farm camp with a modern spin on exploration & discovery!
FARM TECH & SCIENCE
- Plan and plant a garden plot
- Learn why soil is alive
- Practice biology by investigating birds, pollinators and plants in the restored prairie
- Harvest and prepare grain to feed animals
- Explore how engines work; discover how wind and steam do work, assemble a pulley
- Make butter & cream from milk, create a quilt patch, pound a nail
- Learn how to make 3 kinds of knots and how they were used on the farm
- Animal husbandry - get to know and tend our chickens
- Forage in the heirloom garden and orchard to experiment with snacks
- Heritage games and puzzles, farmyard & prairie scavenger hunts
- Sing farm songs and listen to old-time radio shows
- Innovate with handmade crafts in the maker's barn
Each day will consist of hands-on, interactive learning activities in the morning and free play collective games & homesteading crafts in the afternoons.
**Download Registration Form**
Camp personnel will include park staff, former elementary school teachers, UW-Madison faculty and park education docents. The Park Administrator has First-Aid & CPR certification and will be on site and available all three days of camp to address any questions or concerns.
* Camp cancellation policy: Friends of Schumacher Farm reserve the right to cancel camp if sufficient registration has not been met. Registered campers will be notified by July 8, 2019 in the event camp is cancelled.
Contact the farm office for more: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (608) 849-4559